20 March 2009

What we want v/s what we need.

Our wants are often influenced by what we see and hear. When we want something, we are just trying to fit in. We have to look deeper to find out what we really need. Aren’t we loosing ourselves trying to be like others? Do we realize that all of us are not cut out to run the same race?

Money can buy a lot of things, but love. I remember a man, whose wife had cancer once told me that the other evening he laid behind his sick wife on the couch, holding her .Thinking when she is gone no amount of money can give him the same comfort. Health we take for granted. Parents who confuse providing the basic necessities (a roof over their head, education, food, expensive toys and clothes) as caring for their kids, its time you understood the word "care".Know that you get in return what you gave.People try to gain respect by living in huge houses, driving expensive cars and wearing designer clothes .Is this life about being accepted and revered by the people around you?

I want to listen to the morning prayers float into my bedroom from the nearby temple, the chanting and the sound of the bells to wake me up. And as I open the window I want to feel the cool air gush in stroking my hair. I want to see the mist slowly clearing the mountains. This is my picture of peace.

Was it the glamor of the costume or the attention of the crowd that thrilled me as a dancer? Or the rush of adrenaline while performing on stage and the feeling of liberation!!Even before I realized it ,I lost it.Now filled with only regret ,of letting go of my dream .

No two lives are the same, so there is no protocol that we can follow to achieve our goals or avoid making mistakes. There are no better actors than the ones we meet in real life. We try to portray happiness whatever the real story might be. People who struggle to make a living staying abroad, sacrificing all pleasures of life, saving every penny, go back home and redeem themselves by living large for 1 or 2 months, thus earning the jealousy of the neighbor. There is no universal scale to rate success, set your own standards.

At the end, it is not your job, wealth or family heritage that defines you. It might give you praise and a front row seat. But have you found yourself??Do you know your limitations; have you accepted your weakness? Sorrow is a much stronger emotion than joy!! Our sorrows bring out the best in us.

Have compassion towards others who are struggling, it is easy to sit on a mighty horse and judge them. But do not be so full of yourself and think you did it all.Count your blessings,consider others less fortunate. Have wisdom to see clearly, not to be overridden by emotions,be practical.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I love this line "There are no better actors than the ones we meet in real life" and I totally agree with you. We all put on a show of something we totally are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you girlz for making sure that I keep up with the writing!!Sorry Nami,I just got carried away as I was reminiscing about my dancing days and did not quite put into words how I lost that part(need)of me,and nothing else can take its spot!

    ReplyDelete