26 May 2009

Shawarma at Alyan’s

I have been searching for a Middle Eastern restaurant for quite some time .There are days I crave for some flat bread, dates and other Arabic dishes. Born in Kuwait I secretly call it my home, never felt the same back in India or out here in the US. The sandy Arabian desert, rows of palm trees, the large wooden ships, Sawt (the prominent type of music) the Bedouins and their heard of camels and sheep, I miss it all!!!! Even though I spent a lot of years in Kuwait (fortress built near water), it is a shame I hardly understand a word of Arabic. It was a miracle I even made it through my Arabic exams!! If not for the invasion by Iraq, I could have completed my schooling there and not have gone through certain sudden changes in my future.


Here in the US you practically get food from all over the world, but they lack authenticity as it is modified to suit the American taste buds. I love eating out; it does not have to be an upscale restaurant. I would rather go to a small place not having to butt elbows with the crowd. And since Taffy had never eaten anything from that part of the world, I wanted the first impression to be the best!! I always tell him how wonderful and great Kuwait is, so the food had to support my claims.


We got there and it was a small dhabba kind of setting, the smell of hookah and some traditional art work added to the décor. I ordered from the menu since the names looked familiar all the while hoping this would not be a disaster. I couldn’t be happier when I had a bite of my shawarma and it tasted just the way it should !!!!! I looked at Taffy and he gestured it was good since his mouth was too full. Relieved I got back to my plate and occasionally glanced at Jacob who didn’t want to try anything but French fries!!!

1 comment: